Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hawaii One year later

This weekend we mark one year in Hawaii.

Anniversaries as always good for looking back. There were so many uncertainties when we took this leap. So many ways things could have gone wrong. We knew that going in, debated it over and over...

We're leaving everyone we know, would we make new connections? Yep, we did. Some friendships are just starting to develop, others we already feel close and comfortable to. We can never replace those we left behind. But, I'm happy to report, we've enriched our lives with many new friendships and the promise of more friends in the future.

Would the kids adapt? What about the schools. Scary... But, I knew if we could get the kids into HAAS it would all work out fine. And it did. It's been more than fine, it's been wonderful. Life here is just what I've wanted for them. Jayden told us today that we are not allowed to move away from here. :) I'll do my very best to honor that little buddy.

We had a wonderful house in MN, would we miss it? Regret selling it? Well, it's been a busy year building our new place. Frustrating in the initial searches, finding one place after another that either just wasn't right or was right but gone. In the end we've got a place that's completely ours, we designed it, we built it and we love it! Scary - yep you betcha. Rewarding, incredibly so.

So do I ever get home sick? Would you believe me if I said no? I can't say I don't get nostalgic for times gone by - certainly I do. But do I want to go back home? No. Minnesota will always be my home and I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about it when I do go back again. But, I'm not hungry for home. In fact, I suspect a trip away from Hawaii back to Minnesota will have us a little home sick for Hawaii.

It's been a whirl wind year. Chasing flying cockroaches... Figuring out a new town, new state, new culture and a new climate. Meeting so many wonderful people along the way. Settling in.

I know moving here seemed crazy. And I was told by folks on both sides of the pond that it might not work out and we might move back. I pretty sure odds were made and bets were placed on whether we were making the biggest mistake of our lives... It was a risk moving here. It was a crazy thing to do, no doubt. But it was the right thing, oh so the right thing. Makes me wonder about the other leaps I'm afraid to take. Are there other right things out there to do? Probably. Time will lead me there I hope.

One thing I've learned through this experience, if there's something calling you. Something in your gut telling you do this or that, maybe for no particular reason. Listen to that. It maybe scary or crazy, but think for a second, what if I don't try? Can I live with that? If the answer is no, I can't live with not trying. Then you know what you've got to do. Put the naysayers out of your mind and move forward. That's it.

I ku ka makemake e hele mai,
hele no me ka malo`elo`e.

If the wish to come arises, walk firmly.

If you wish to come do not be hesitant,
for you are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment