Friday, October 7, 2011

School

The boys have been off school this week. I have to say, I so love their school.

It's a charter school, and it's fabulous! From what I've read charters around the country can be hit or miss, sometimes they are better than the zip code schools sometimes they are not.

This one is better, so much better... I feel so privileged to send my kids here. We owe that to Hudson, my oldest. He tested into REAL class, which is a more high performing 5th and 6th grade. So his getting into that last year got Morgan and Jayden sibling priority in the lottery for new students this year. Still, neither got drawn on the initial drawing and were put on

waiting lists. By an incredible stroke of luck, some students decided not to join HAAS and my kids got in!!
What's so great about this schoo
l? Great facilities? Not universally, Jayden's school is in a little house in our neighborhood and Hudson's is in an empty store in a strip mall. Morgan's school is pretty amazing, but it's no marble palace. Just some small wood buildings in a grove of pine trees. It's a magical place, with a stage and a tree fort.

It's the teachers, the culture of this school. The teachers want to be here. They have the freedom to set the curriculum as they choose. They choose very well. They're excited about teaching! They also get to know the kids. In elementary school they're with the kids for multiple years (called looping). In some cases, from kindergarten all the way to 5th or 6th grade.
The kids, teachers, parents and aides are together, for years.

The parents want to be here to... There's no apathy, everyone is engaged. Not in a pushy, hovering, you've got to be the best kind of way. But, in a supportive, encouraging way.

Does all this goodness help the kids? The boys have been home for a week and want to go back to school. They love their days there! Hudson is thinking critically and imagining how he can build a better world... For a kid with dreaming of being a scientist or engineer, it's perfect.
Morgan is learning though art and song. He's taken up the Ukulele. Morgan is the creative, clown of the family, perfect again. And my baby Jayden, fearless kid. He's exploring the world everyday at school. Not just ABCs and 123's but planting a garden, & keeping a science journal.
This is the best school I could imagine for my kids. THE BEST. I'm so grateful. I wish everyone could have this.



Morgan summed it up best when I asked him if he did anything fun in school, his reply was "Yes, all day".


No comments:

Post a Comment